Friday, November 28, 2008

First Things

One of our daughters suggested that I should do a blog. At first, I thought, "Riiight. Just what I need...one more thing to neglect." Then after talking to the same daughter last week, I thought, "She needs to hear my newest revelation, but it'll take longer that our usual 5 minute talk." That's when I thought, "If I did a blog, she could read it when and if she wanted, and wouldn't feel pressured to tell me how wonderfully inspired I am." So, here I go. I figure you'll either be bored to tears, grateful that you are SOOO much smarter than I am, and/or you'll go to the next thing on your to-do list with a smile on your face.


WARNING: I am a Christian. I believe God, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit work in everything I see, and everything that happens to me and in the world. I understand that not everyone believes in these powers and not everyone who calls themselves "Christian" believes that They are involved in the details of everyday life. Nothing I say on this site is intended to offend or belittle what you believe...this is just to share life as I see it, and there will probably be frequent references to these Persons. I hope you are blessed anyway.


I'm 50-something. Most days I can't believe that. I thought I would be SO much more together by the time by the time I got to this stage of my life...and I guess I thought I'd always look like I did when I was 20...WHAT was I thinking?!! I was putting on makeup yesterday morning (in a car, in daylight instead of the kinder effects of indoor lighting...BIG mistake), and was APPALLED by how OLD I looked...when did that happen? In my head, I'm still a slender 20-something with red hair. Where did this grey-haired, pudgy old woman come from, and how do I feel about her? Some days, I think it's kinda cool to be middle aged, and I think I'm aging gracefully, and maybe starting to get a clue about life...then there are days like yesterday that I feel like I'm ready for the nursing home, and become painfully aware of the things I haven't and don't get done.


Okay, I know that may be a bit of an overreaction, but it really hits hard when it catches me off guard like that...there ought to be some kind of warning before that happens. I am sorry to admit that I didn't do much rising above yesterday. One good thing that came out of it was that I didn't eat myself into a coma for a change, but it was not one of the better self-image days of my life.


Today is a new day. I have the opportunity to decide what I want to do with it...or rather, what I want to allow God to do through me. Since I've been up a couple of hours, had my first mega-cup of coffee, and the chance to vent, I think I've decided that maybe I'm not finished yet (isn't that an epiphany?!). I think I'll try to make today better than I did yesterday...I can't very well do less than I did yesterday...oh, me...oh, well. Ecc 3:1-8



Smile :)





1 comment:

Carly said...

I am sooo proud of you for finally listening to your wisest daughter! I think to help you see yourself more as that 20-something person, you need to go get your nose or tongue pierced and a couple of tattoos. It's very therapeutic, trust me.
Yes, I'll read your blog as often as you update it. I expect you to be better about updating yours than Lindsey does (she hasn't updated hers since May).